[CH] (Fwd) Chilli Seed

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 23:25:08 RSA-2

> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 06:21:33 -0700
> From: "Dave Anderson" <Chilehead@tough-love.com>

> I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with them. Piquant or
> picante just means hot or spicy and a lot of chiles fit that
> definition. I've forwarded your message to a group which
> includes several Afrikanners and maybe one of them will have
> an answer for you.

     Do you have the seed for the chillies used in "peppadew"
     pickles found in South Africa? I believe they may be called
     piquant or picante. I would really appreciate any
     assistance you may beable to offer.

A good name would be "yuppie" chile.

One or two steps away from a heatless bell pepper.  C. annuum is
my best guess and I have never seen a plant or flower.  Nor have
any intention of ever bothering to grow it.

I was presented with a bottle of pickled peppadews.  Still have
it somewhere.   Sort of ball/squash shaped, my comment was what
is all the hype about.  Possibly enjoyed by those who have never
eaten a chile before and would describe a habanero as volcanic.
Grow any of the milder C. annuums but then you would not be able
to claim the hype ;-)  Ancho and poblano would be a better
choice.

Seems popular in Gauteng - Johannesburg.

If desperate I can try to get seeds.  "Wonder" chile it is not
and picante or hot it is neither.  Good marketing hype and
non-chilehead customers.

Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?