Re: [CH] A new experience

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:23:29 -0500

Michael Sporrong wrote:

> I had lunch at a Thai restaurant in Gothenburg (Sweden) today. The food
> (lunch buffet) was okey but not hot enough, so I had to spice it up myself.
> They had a bowl (about one cup) of small and really tasty fresh sliced
> chile peppers in fish sauce next to the other food, and I emptied the whole
> bowl over my food and asked for more chile pepper. They filled the bowl
> again in due time for my second plate of food, and I emptied it once again
> over my plate (my second serving of food) and asked once again more chile
> peppers. This time they told me that the food would be to hot too eat if I
> used more chile peppers!

> It is hard to live in a country there people normally don't eat hot food.

> Do you ever have the same problem in your respective countries?

We have a number of Thai restaurants -- one of which does not "tone
down" for round-eye tastes. The rest of them serve as "hot" a level of
heat somewhat lower than than Magic Kitchen's "medium". At a restaurant
called "Taste of Thai" I ordered garlic black-pepper pork - hot. And I
told the waitress that I wanted it "phet phet" which is Thai for HOT!.
What I got was a dish that was more red from ground red Thai hot chiles
than much of anything else -- and a smirking chef peeking from the
kitchen. So, I dutifully tasted the dish and immediately grabbed the
Golden Bell Sriracha and doused the plate with that.

I did NOT enjoy that dish. But I DID eat it. And I did make my point.
Now when I go there and ask for hot-hot I get a decent level of heat.
And the chef no longer tries to "one up" me.  <GGG>

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider