Re: [CH] A new experience ... Lamb Vindaloo!!!

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:24:22 -0400

Rita and I discovered our threshhold of pain years ago in an Indian
restaurant in Sydney, Australia....right off King's Cross (no jokes,
Luke!).

We were warned that "Chicken Madras" was particularly hot, but we
ordered it just the same. I'm sure that the chef viewed this as a
"challenge!" Rita could not eat it....I forced it down with much sweat
and tears! The restaurant staff must have been laughing their asses off
from the sidelines!

Cheers,

Myron, back in hot and muggy Florida!

Michiel Overtoom wrote:

> T wrote...
>
> >The only place in the whole of Europe where I've ever had food that was hot
> >to the point where I wouldn't have wished for it to be hotter was at an
> >Indian restaurant in Amsterdam, a lamb vindaloo, and I didn't even have to
> >ask for extra heat when ordering.
>
> Lamb Vindaloo is traditionally very hot.  It is believed that vindaloo
> originated from the portuguese colony Goa  in India; the rest of Indian
> kitchen is not that hot.
>
> Lamb Vindaloo is a favourite of mine.  I frequently order it at my local
> Indian take-away (I live in the Netherlands).  It's the hottest dish on the
> menu.  And indeed, this is not exaggerated!  After a few bites a wonderful,
> delayed heat begins developing throughout my stomach and head...  When I'm
> finished, I have to use a towel to dry my hair and a piece of toilet paper
> to dry my nose.  Wow, what an invention!
>
> Sometimes I make lamb vindaloo at home, the easy way:
>
> 500g  lamb meat, diced
> five tablespoons Patak Vindaloo Curry
> chopped chile (do not remove the seeds!)
> chopped onion
> chopped garlic
> some water
>
> Let bubble for a hour-and-half or so, until the stew has thickened somewhat.
> Don't forget stirring from time to time and add some water if necessary.
>
> Before serving, add a diced boiled potato, and sprinkle some fresh coriander
> leaves over the dish.

Myron Menaker                      Daytona Beach FL USA
myronm@bellsouth.net     |
              I'd rather be singing!        |     |