Re: [CH] A new experience ... Lamb Vindaloo!!!

Bruce (blacksheep@awwwsome.com)
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:19:28 -0700

Here's the only vindaloo recipe I have handy at this time as my
Indian cook books are in my bedroom with my sleeping wife.
It's from "The Whole Chile Pepper Book" and it's made with
pork, supposedly the original version, but as it says, lamb or
other meats can easily be substituted.

Pork Vindaloo with Bird's Eye Chile

8 small dried red chiles such as Piquins, stems removed
5 Tbs. distilled white vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
1  2 to 3 pound boneless pork roast, cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes
1/4 cup tamarind pulp
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tsp. ground turmeric
1  2-inch whole cinnamon stick
6 whole cloves
6 cloves garlic
3 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
2 Tbs. coriander seeds
1 Tbs. cumin seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 small tomato, peeled and seeds removed, chopped.

  Mix the vinegar and black pepper and toss the pork in the
mixture until well coated.  Marinate the pork for 2 hours,
stirring occasionally.  Drain and reserve the liquid.
  Cover the tamarind with boiling water and soak for 30
minutes.  Strain and reserve the liquid.
  Combine the vinegar liquid with the chilies, cinnamon, cloves,
garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, mustard, and fenugreek in a
blender and puree until smooth.
  Brown the pork in the oil.  Add the onions and sauté until
soft.  Stir in the turmeric and the spice mixture and heat for
2 to 3 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and tamarind liquid.  Bring
to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 hours or until the
pork is very tender and starts to fall apart.  Add water if necessary.
serves 6

I can't vouch for this recipe since I've never made it before but
it looks good to me, at least at this hour of the night/morning.  I've
used some pre-strained tamarind pulp that I found in jars at a local
Southeast Asian grocery store and it was just about as good and
far more convenient than extracting your own tamarind from the
tamarind pulp.  This recipe was rated a 7 on a heat scale of 10
but you may wish to make it even hotter.

Bruce