Re: Subject: [CH] Re: A new experience

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:16:46 -0500

Bruce wrote:

  -- WARNING -- Editing being done here --

> to eat it. (well, maybe you could)  When I cooked for a
> living I had to be very careful to not over chili a dish because
> most people would send it back if I made it as hot as I
> liked it.  So I don't think that all of the chefs who don't make
> the food hot enough for us are necessarily to blame.  They're
> just trying to keep the chili-ignorant patrons from scorching
> their mouths and sending the food back as inedible.  As
> I stated in a previous post, I made the first batch of jambalaya
> very hot by most people's standards but he sent it back saying

  -- 'Nother big snip --

The most reasonable and intelligent solution to this problem I have seen
was at a restaurant which offered several levels of heat in spicy
dishes. There was a prominent box describing the heat levels represented
by the little symbols and warning that what is fiery to one person may
be ho-hum to the next. Then there was a notation that ayone ordering the
top two levels of heat "may be required to sign a release form."

The wait staff was pretty good at picking out the macho poseurs and
blow-hards and making them sign the form. Then there was no question -
they ordered it hot, they had to pay. If the staff knew you they didn't
make you sign-off every time you ardered top level heat.

I did take a date there one time and was told that "If you order
anything above medium you are not getting your mouth or fingers anywhere
near my body!"  <GGG>

Also saw one of the flase alarm types trying to impress his date with
the amount of heat he could do. He signed on the line and got the
"Scorched Earth" level. Which, of course, he could not tolerate. His
date, with a look of glee, swapped plates with him and polished off his
food, making comments aboutr how really tasty it was, etc. I suspect his
evening went downhill from there.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider