RE: [CH] Cooking With Green El Yucky-Techo

green (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:34:04 -0500

Riley...  I love that name.  Worked with a guy who's last name's Riley.
Only could call him "Riley."  It just fit.  It's just a great, all around
name.

"Removing The Membrane", from The Great Ribs Book, CW 1999, Hugh Carpenter &
Teri Sandison, pg. 19

"All ribs have a tough membrane that covers the underside (the nonmeaty
side) of the ribs.  This membrane is called the "fell."  [Doug, you know
about the fell.  Lots o'times lamb has it...]  For all cooking techniques,
remove the membrane or the ribs will always be tough.  Most markets sell the
ribs without removing the membrane.  [Note:  *MY* little country market
ALWAYS removes this membrane, this fell.  I've never needed to remove it.
You mite want to ask your butcher/grocer if they've alread removed the fell
and if they've not have THEM do it...]  If you don't remember to ask the
butcher to complete this task for you, here is a simple method for removing
the membrane at home.

"Place the ribs, meaty side down, on a flat surface.  Using your fingernail,
loosen a little of the membrane along the end of the last rib bone.  Then,
grasp the membrane firmly with a paper towel (so that the membrane doesn't
slip from your grip).  Holding the ribs down with the other hand, pull the
membrane away.  If it doesn't pull away in one piece, dislodge any remaining
membrane, grip it with a paper towel, and pull the membrane away."

As far as the recipe for the Almost Hot Luck goes...  Well...  usually the
recipes aren't posted until after.  You know, when everbuddy and their
brother BEGs you for the WONDERFUL recipe.  But, you asked and I can't deny.
It's from that same cookbook, "The Great Ribs Book."

"Strawberry-Habanero Marinated Ribs

Serves 4

2 sides spareribs or your favorite ribs [I'm doing bone-in country-style
pork, my favs]

Marinade:

1/2 cup strawberry jam
Zest of 2 limes, grated or finely minced
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup thin soy sauce
2 TBS habanero hot sauce [gonna use my El Yucky Techo green and the colour
be damned!]
1/4 cup finely minced ginger [sans Fred - he's not invited]
1/4 cup minced mint leaves

"Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs as shown on page 19.
[That's been covered.]  Then place the ribs in a rectangular dish or baking
pan.  [I always use gallon Zip Lock (R) bags.  The gods created them just
for marinating.  Yup.]

"To make the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients.  Stir well.
Makes 1 3/4 cups.

"Coat the ribs evenly on both sides with the marinade.  [I put the ribs or
whatever I'm marinating in a Zip Lock bag, pour the marinade in, squeeze out
all the air, zip, moosh stuff up, and then toss in the microwave to marinate
at room temp for as long as I want.  Sometimes even 24 hours.  Ain't killed
me yet!  I turn the bag every so often to make sure the marinade gets all
over.]  Marinate the ribs, refrigerated, for at least 15 minutes [Ignore
this.  15 minutes is nothing and you've wasted all your time and money if
you only marinate for 15 minutes - for anything.  Minimum, IMHO, is 3-4
hours.].  For more flavor, marinate for up to 8 hours.  [Note:  Beyond 18-24
hours your meat will get mushy...]

"To grill the ribs, if using a gas barbecue, preheat to medium (325
degrees).  If using charcoal or wood, prepare a fire.  Grill according to
the instructions on page 22.  Occassionally during cooking, baste the ribs
with extra marinade, stopping 15 minutes before removing the ribs from the
grill."

Brackets, [  ], are me.

There you have it, Sir!  I've not made this yet, this will be the first
time...  But look for "Ribs with Ancho Marmalde Rub" - also from "The Great
Ribs Book," that I did make and they were to DIE for!!!  Much better than
the "Chipotle-Coriander Cured Ribs".

green, CH #2156