Re: [CH] OH MY JALS

bradley ellis (h0t5auce@home.com)
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:49:02 -0500

I found a couple references to heat and watering and the effects on the pods
in a book I picked up a while ago, "Chile Peppers : Hot Tips and Tasty Picks
for Gardeners and Gourmets (21St-Century Gardening Series)."  It's by
several authors, but is quite informative.

"The pungency level of any given chile is affected by its genetic makeup,
the weather, growing conditions, and fruit age. Plant breeders can
selectively develop cultivars within a desired range of pungency, but any
stress to the chile plant will elevate the amount of capsaicinoid in the
pods. A few hot days can increase the capsaicinoid content significantly."

"As your chile plants become more established, hold back on watering once in
a while.  Your plants may suffer a bit but the fruits will become more
pungent -- because you've stressed your plants, the bite you back more
sharply!"

Also, in "Peppers, Peppers, Peppers" by Marlena Spieler: "The peppers' fire
and pungency depend on the weather and sun: the hotter and brighter the sun,
the spicuer the pepper. A little stress on the plant, such as letting it dry
just a little too far once or twice, can also increase its heat."

Anyway, thats what the books say ... I have no personal experience.  Heck, I
am just excited that for the first time ever, plants I started from seed are
producing pods (I've had a hard time with the hardening off process in prior
years.)  On a good note, I've been picking pretty good sized jalapenos off
the plants I started while still waiting for the store-bought plants to set
flowers.

Brad