Re: [CH] A Bit Off-Topic!

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:20:14 -0400

Myron Menaker wrote:

> We inherited a juice extractor (snip) Will it do anything a
> processor or blender does NOT do?

It'll do lots of things those whirling blades can't do.  Drop in
some chiles.  Out one orifice comes chile juice and out another
comes minced chiles.  You can use the juice as is to make hot jelly,
you can add it to tomato juice or Bloody Marys.  You can add it to
dishes and soups, or make a hot sauce.  The solids can be used any
way minced peppers can be used.  Try a salsa with them and add the
juice back a bit at a time to adjust the heat and texture.

Drop in a bunch of carrots.  Drink the juice (try adding it to
tomato juice) thin your hot sauces or use it in cooking.  Cook up
the mash and use it to thicken and sweeten hot sauce.  It's terrific
with Habs.

It can make huge batches of salsas in very little time.  We add the
juice back to the solids until we get the consistency we want.

When you have more peppers than you can use fresh, run them through
and freeze the mash and the juice separately.  With very little air
in the freezer container, freezer burn is reduced considerably.

Ours, by the way, is a Champion, and we have been very happy with
it.  We juust toss the parts in the dishwasher.  There are several
web sites dedicated to juicers and some even have instructional
streaming videos.

Enjoy your new toy.

Hobby Farmer