Re: [CH] 1 baseball sized onion, chopped & Orlando

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:12:50 -0500

At 9:32 AM -0500 7/29/2001, =Mark wrote:

>Why is it that when it hails it's always described as the size of something
>else?  You never hear about Tiger Woods hitting golf balls the size of hail...

Because that's the way the NWS trains spotters to report hail size.  That
way, everyone uses the same set of comparrisons, so there's no confusion.
ie:

.25"  - pea
.75"  - Penny
.88"  - Nickel
1.00" - Quarter
1.75" - Golfball
2.50" - Tennis Ball
2.75" - Baseball
4.00" - Grapefruit

But, you still get a lot of people reporting "marble" sized hail.  Which
doesn't say much, 'cause marbles come in lots of different sizes.  And,
anything over Golfball usually gets inflated to baseball, even if it isn't
a whole inch larger.  I actually cary a cheap plastic ruler...

I once reported habanero-sized hail, but the reply from the net control
operator was "huh?" .  It was an easy comparrison to make at the time,
'cause it knocked a bunch of fruit off the pepper plants in my dad's garden
(I was visiting him at the time).  Also did some nasty stuff to
watermellon...

But, if you take a baseball-sized hailstone, and cut it half, sometimes
(not always), it has nifty rings and looks much like an onion.

Also, I'm going to Orlando for a conference in a couple of weeks.  All but
2 meals will be provided at the conference, but I'm guessing it'll be
pretty typical bland starch & mush.  Any suggestions on restauraunts?  The
conference is at one of the Disney resorts, and I'm staying with a friend
in Geneva(?), about 1 hour north of there.

Chad Gard, CTS KB9WXQ
INCHASE:  http://www.inchase.org
SCOA:  http://www.stormchasersofamerica.org