Re: [CH] Bird feeders/squirrels

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 08:07:23 -0500

Valerie C wrote:

> In Missouri, they eat em! No kidding :) One day at work, I was assisting in
> a surgery and the vet's buddy was chatting about the squirrel that they had
> for dinner the night before. I guess it was almost as big as the cat that we
> had on the table (ewwww!) I asked the next day if they were serious or just
> fooling with the Yankee :) He couldn't believe that I hadn't eaten squirrel,
> said he guessed that up in Massachusetts we prolly just had scrawny little
> squirrels not worth bothering with. If I go back to visit during squirrel
> season (never knew there was such a thing!) he's going to have us over for
> some realheman cookin'... snappin turtle soup, squirrel, rabbit, and
> whatever else he can catch or shoot or however you git these varmints LOL I
> wonder if squirrel tastes like rabbit, which I hear tastes like chicken.....

Actually they are two different flavours/textures. Here's an excellent
way to fix tree rats.....

MMMMM----- Meal Master Recipe

      Title: Squirrel Etouffee
 Categories: Game, Cajun
      Yield: 1 servings

      1    Text file

  You'll need about a squirrel per person.

  Get a large stock pot.  Clean the squirrels and rub them down with a
  seasoning mix of salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, thyme, and a dash
of
  cumin.  Put them inside the pot.  Cut up a couple of carrots and thow
them
  in.  Quarter an onion and slice a full bulb of garlic (7 or 8 cloves)
in
  half, germ and all, and put them in the pot.  Now pour enough bock
beer
  into the pot to go about half way up the sides of the squirrels. Bring
to a
  boil and reduce to a slow simmer. Cover pot and cook, turning the
squirrels
  and refilling the beer about every 20 minutes. You will know the
squirrels
  are done when the meat comes off the bones without too much effort.

  Take the squirrels out and pick the meat from the bones. Return the
  *bones* to the pot and cover with water. Simmer for 2 hours, then
remove
  and strain the liquid into a container. Finely chop a small onion, a
stalk
  of celery and a bell pepper. Now take a large cast iron skillet and
heat a
  cup of peanut oil to medium high heat. With a wire wisk, slowly wisk
in 1
  cup of flour mixed with 1 tablespoon oc cayenne. Continue wisking,
without
  stopping, until the roux turns a dark reddish brown color (if you burn
it,
  start over). Add the chopped veggies and mix in until soft. Add the
  squirrel stock (about a cup per person) and stir well until somewhat
  thick (like a glaze). Chop up the squirrel meat and add it to the
  skillet. Cook for a few minutes longer and serve on top of Louisiana
  ice cream (that's rice for those of you who don't know).

  Garnish with Louisiana Hot Sauce.

  Ken "The Cajun Game Chef" Ihrer

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider