Re: [CH] Bird feeders/squirrels

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 21:53:52 -0500

Mary & Riley wrote:

> >   of milk for the last fifteen minutes is all to the good.  Add a
> >   little garlic and, if you want your spurs to really jingle,
> > throw in,
> >   as your conscience dictates, a grab of chili-petines.

> So the slow cooking makes it tender?  I was camping some time ago in the
> Calif Desert, high desert out of Yucca Valley.  Found a big old diamond
> back and invited him for a bbq.  Good, but very tough.  Cooked it more
> like chicken.

> If I get in a similar situation again I'll try simmering it for a while.
> Normally I leave them alone, but had to kill this one for safety
> reasons.

Senor Snake is all bone and muscle -- no fat on him to tenderise things
so he needs long, slow cooking. Or a pressure cooker. A really good way
is in a water smoker using a spicy jerk rub then serve it with a nice
tomatillo and green pepper (Numex & Serrano) salsa. Another way is to
boil the snot out of the chunks for about half an hour. Then dip them in
a beer/chile batter that you have cleverly made whilst the snake was
taking his next to final bath. Then into the pot of hot pig fat to be
deep fried to a finish. Yuuuum.

Rattlesnake (or any other that I've had) doesn't have a lot of flavour
so it tends to take on the flavour of wehatever you cook it with. If you
use Zatarian's Crab Boil it will remind you of crawdads. If you cook it
with poultry seasonings it will taste a bit like chicken.... and so on.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider