Re: [CH] OT Horsradish/Wasabi

Ray Pfaff (raypfaff@erols.com)
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:05:04 -0400

Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

> << Subject: Re: [CH] OT Horseradish
>
> Not growing it....but we use that neat green stuff every time we need to
> and not just in Japanese food, it is great on any meat!Cheers, Doug in BC>>
>
> Well, Doug,
> It is a great Hot ingredient!  Makes awesome Mashed Potatoes as well!  Oh and
> Warm Wasabi Noodles with Grilled Pork that is really good.  I also played
> around and came up w/a Tomato Watercress Salad.  The dressing is good with
> other combinations as well.

Great recipies (I'll have to try the mashed potatoes,) but I hate to rain on
everyone's parade here.  Are you using wasabi or died green horseradish?  It's
about impossible to find real wasabi powder in NA and, outside of California I
think, completely impossible to find the root itself.
For that matter does anyone know if there's really a taste difference?  Until
someone pointed out to me that most Wasabi powder was just horseradish I never
noticed.  Being a purist I hunted up some of the real stuff, but since I grow
horseradish I prefer it to any jared or powdered equivalent.