Re: [CH] OT: Garam Masala

Andy (quark@erols.com)
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 15:25:53 -0400

Signe,

Being not so patient, I bought (about a 3 yrs supply) at a local Indian
grocery store.

I have some Indian co-workers (some who are good cooks), and simply
asked then were they got their spices.

When I walked in, the manager gave me a look as if he thought I was lost
-- but as soon as I asked for garam masala, he brought me to a hugh
imported bag of the stuff (for only a few $).  It is quite excellent.

I also bought some Indian red chile powder -- much like cayenne, but, I
think, a little hotter and more flavorful than what McCormick gives in
the US.  Also in a big bag -- at about 1/8 the price per oz. of
McCormick.

Blend the two for an Indian flavor and level of heat.

Some CHs might want to kick it up some.

Andy