RE: [CH] Rocoto and Cherry peppers

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:58:36 RSA-2

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:59:55 -0700
> From: "Mary & Riley" <uGuys@ChileGarden.com>

> ... Also seem bit of a challenge to grow, at least
> in S. Calif, due in part to the heat.

C. pubescens prefers warm nights, cool mountain breeze.

Growing them in containers was a challenge for me.  Stuck them
in the ground where they get mostly shade from large trees and
have never looked back.

> This is my second year--got two fruit last year and lots of
> blossom drop (in containers).  Things look better this year,
> more fruit set from the two plants that overwintered and my
> two new plants, all in the ground now.  Also had some advice
> from a rocoto expert on the list, Cameron Begg, who's also
> supplied seed to many here.

Most plants don't do all that well the first year.  They have a
long growing season 120 days or more.

I never got much fruit or happiness from a potted plant.  Large
pot at least 5 gal (imperial) or 20L for the converted.

They like to sprawl a lot branching out all over the place.
Give them the space and patience and you will be rewarded.  Very
robust plants as well.  My oldest are 5 years old now.

> They are available at times in the markets in SoCal under the
> name Manzano, which refers to the apple shaped one.  There are
> also pear shaped rocotos called Peron's here.  Rocoto seeds
> are unique in that they're black.

I am looking for seeds of the yellow apple shape.

Prefer lantern (chinese) shape for the other ;-)

Conditions here are warm temperate to subtropical.

700..1400mm rain PA mainly in summer /25.4 = in. 30..40 plus deg
C in summer and maybe 0..4 days light frost in winter.  Summer
temps are far to high for rocoto but they do fine in the shade.

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?