OT: RE: [CH] question for a big brain

Inagaddadavida, Baby (raelsixfour@home.com)
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:09:52 -0600

At 6:27 PM -0700 8/15/01, Mary & Riley wrote:

>Except in the case of Golden Rice--they are donating that product.  And
>replant and harvest seed.  Sadly, one of the companies that was working
>on it in Britain went out of business due to the GM foes, iirc.  And
>therefore delayed people getting it. And as far as I'm concerned, have
>caused the (unnecessary) deaths of hundreds of thousands of children.
>
>So who has blood on their hands?

more like they cannot get enough food, period...bad land, drought,
overuse of pesticides, land mismanagement, etc...
and they breed like rabbits because the Catholic church (and other
religions) raises hell (pardon the pun) about contraceptive use...
and poor transportation lines/delivery systems...
and legal concerns that tied up the developers themselves...

so, many hands involved.  Yours and mine too, i'm sure.

>A recent survey stated that after being informed that more than half the
>foods on the shelves are GMOs, something like 70% of Americans said they
>didn't mind.  I'm paraphrasing and may have the number wrong--but it was
>a large majority.

Three kinds of falsehoods in the world:

1. Lies
2. Damned Lies
3. Statistics

ask any statistician...

But as for GMOs, I shoulda stuck by my guns and kept my damned mouth
shut.  But nooooo, Rael's gotta speak out.  I often piss myself off.
So enough from me.  All I ask from those who play around with GMOs is:

1. Bear the responsibility of what you do.  Food is a basic need to
all life.  Do not mutate it, do not destroy it.  If something screws
up, if chaos ensues, fix it wholly and without moaning about cost.
If it means liquidation of the entire corporation, so be it.  This is
what responsibility means.

2. Label all GMOs so crazy paranoid luddites like myself can avoid
the crap and seek out what i want.

3.  Non-acceptance of responsibilities will result in many pikes, and
many heads.

Rael64