RE: [CH] List has changed

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:46:45 -0700

> From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
> [mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Margaret
> Lauterbach

> I've subscribed to chile-heads digest since the start of the second
volume,
> about 7 years, and yesterday I was dismayed at the attack on

Dismayed?  It's good for him.  Makes his skin thicker, better able to
take the heat.

> Rael.  Are you
> attackers who call him a Luddite all genetic manipulators then?  Many

iirc the Luddite comment was one generally directed at Luddites, prior
to Rael jumping in.  Maybe as predictably as I did.  I can't find the
post so may be mistaken.

Personally I don't Rael is a Luddite, think he can take care of himself,
and have seen  him bring out the heavy artillery directing his wit at
others.

> scientists are opposed to GM for various good reasons, and
> they're far from
> Luddites.

But not all scientists.  Rael does bring up a good point in the risk of
gene drift to wild species.  I disagree on the solution, but this
subject is one where reasonable people disagree.  What's your problem
with that?  I for one have rethought and changed my position on the
subject to some extent because of these discussions.  This is one of the
great things about discussion and conversation.

> The only people who defend that practice are those who are
> ignorant of it, think every "new" thing is desirable, or are
> themselves
> manipulators.

Hmmm, I've been put in that category before.  With some
justification--to some extent I'm a technologist.  But also a (rational)
environmentalist who had a career in pollution control and has seen
first hand misuse and abuse of technology.  By some very big companies.
Monsanto is no friend of mine.

>There used to be Spanish speaking subscribers,
> too, who would
> laugh their asses off at the "Puta chile" that recently

Potty mouth!  ;-)

> popped up.  There
> was utter silence.   Have the good old boys and girls all
> left the list?
> Margaret L

I thought that was "pulla" chile, anyway.

Riley