Re: [CH] Simple hot sauce recipe needed

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:31:13 -0500

Jerry Vaughan wrote:

> I've been lurking for several years and now have a question.

> I have found myself with a pretty good stash of dried cayenne left from
> last year (worked too much this year to enjoy them). I also just dug
> approx 4 gallons of garlic and have quite a few onions available. My
> question, can someone please send me a reeeeeal easy hot sauce recipe,
> maybe along the lines of Melinda's XXX, that I can use these peppers in.
> I'll admit, I'm not much of a cook.....actually, my wife won't let me
> cook....too many fires.

I dunno how close to Melinda's this is.... but, it's pretty good.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Yaaaaahhhh Hooooooo Aaaaahhhh Hot Sauce
 Categories: Udd, Sauces, Chiles, Garlic
      Yield: 1 Quart

      1 qt Mason jar
      1 tb Salt; plain
      1 pt Chiles; dried Serrano,
           - Cayenne, Tabasco, etc.
      1 pt Garlic cloves; peeled
           Distilled white vinegar

  Fill the Mason jar with the dried chiles and peeled garlic.
  Dissolve the tablespoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar and
  pour over the chiles and garlic. Top up the jar with more
  vinegar and put the jar in a low traffic area to let the
  chilies rehydrate for a few weeks. Add vinegar as needed to
  keep the jar full.

  After a few weeks empty the contents of the jar into a blender
  or food processor and puree. Add vinegar (or water) to get to
  your desired thickness. I like mine to be fairly thick (like
  catsup with an attitude) instead of runny like Tabasco. As
  there is plenty of vegetable pulp in this mix, thick is easy.

  You can decant into smaller bottles or keep in the quart jug.
  I have kept some in the ice box for as long as five weeks with
  no ill effects. I can't seem to get it to last any longer than
  that. Apparently the longer it sits in the ice box the more of
  it disappears.

  This is a moderately successful attempt to make my own "Huy Fong
  Sriracha Sauce". It's more garlicky than Huy Fong and moderately
  spicy and goes well on almost anything. Which, I suspect is why
  I have never had a batch last more than five weeks.

  Devised, made. tested, named and approved in Uncle Dirty Dave's
  Kitchen. In the heart of the Great American Outback.

  MM Format and Recipe by Dave Drum - 23 February 1998

MMMMM
--
ENJOY!!!
--------