Re: [CH] List has changed... Not!

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:22:32 -0400

I don't understand, you start out saying that I'm way off on this, then you
proceed to say pretty much the same thing I said, that things have not
really changed much.  Look at the subject of the message!

I just don't feel that the "Neo Luddite" comment was made in a mean
spirited way and need not have resulted in the subsquent hand wringing.

At 09:48 AM 8/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark - much as I like you, you are way off on this one. We have never had
>good old days when "old-timers" were standing reverently on the moral high
>ground. And, it's also not true that just because a person is new to the
>net, or new to email lists, that they don't understand netiquette. The
>internet has always been a mix of mean-spirited people and tolerant people,
>of respectful people, and people with poor taste. While there might be
>specific rules that apply to netiquette, it's really just an extension of
>being respectful in ordinary life. The mix of those on the internet who
>understand and respect that are mirrored in the larger society, just as it
>has always been.
>
>If you don't believe me, read the archives. We've had debates since the
>beginning of time, and some of them (often) have turned ugly. Then you have
>the series of people who say "stop." Then, it finally does stop, and life
>goes on. But, it really hasn't changed at all. I can remember Rael getting
>attacked several times when he posted stories - attacked for posting them,
>and attacked for their content. I have been attacked several times, once in
>particular for a reference to a certain kind of pepper... remember that
>one? The one that resembled female genitalia?
>
>Oh, the good old days. Really, I am always saddened when people resort to
>being mean, and when they choose personal attacks, but to say it used to be
>any different is just not accurate.
>
>Love, Peace, Chiles & Female Genitalia,
>
>- mary
>(member since 1994)
>                            www.firegirl.com
>                   (Even the Devil shops here...)
>       Over 800 hot sauces and other spicy products!

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                         Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac...

           Lying awake at night, wondering if there is a Dog.