RE: [CH] Re: {CH} Chile Head forum

green (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:35:03 -0500

Jeez-Laweez, you two - Riley'un Cameron...

Must be nice to not have to use finners'un toes (and nose and ears and eyes,
and all appendages... five????  :D) to count...

I see this stuff and cover my eyes, "I CAN'T READ YOU!!!  LA, LA, LA - LA,
LA!!!"  Not cause I don't like the topic or ittiz offensive...

I'm just too obtuse to get it!!!

Carry on, you chem/physics Whizzes!

green, CH #2156
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Mary & Riley
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 12:11 PM
To: Cameron Begg; chile-heads@globalgarden.com; DWALLS9102@aol.com
Subject: RE: [CH] Re: {CH} Chile Head forum

> >Cameron, please explain to me how the ethanol is able to carry away
> >the capsaicin with it as it evaporates.

> capsaicins, but all sorts of other stuff too. In the process of
> evaporating off the constituents the temperature gets high enough for
> you to loose the good stuff. Take a sniff and you'll know what I
> mean. You need to lower the boiling temperature by lowering the
> pressure. Move to Denver?

Cameron,

You may be mistaken.  For one thing moving to Denver would lower the
boiling point of capsaicin too.  But I think there's another process
going on here.

Capsaicin:

Melting point: 65 oC (Ref 8, 1811)
Boiling point: 210-220 oC at 0.01 torr pressure (Ref 8, 1811)

8: The Merck Index. 12th Edition. Merck & Co., Inc. Whitehouse Station,
NJ. 1996.

Note the pressure--that's a pretty hard vacuum.  Got this from Mike's
Pepper Garden.
http://edgein.home.mindspring.com/science/majorcap2.html

95% ethanol/water is a constant boiling mixture and the ethanol/water
proportions don't change, as you know.  I thought perhaps there was
something analogous with steam stripping going on here, but that doesn't
apply to miscible compounds.

If he's boiling it a long time then capsaicin is lost.  After all, it's
going into the air, not a fractional column.  But judging from the
boiling point I wouldn't think much would be lost.  Hydrolysis perhaps?
Wimpy habaneros?

Riley