RE: [CH] Recipe Title Missing

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:55:48 -0400

>From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
>[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Constance Allen

>Chile heads,

>Help!

>I copied a recipe from the list for a rub(??? I think) but forgot to
>title it.  Could
>anyone tell what I have by these ingredients????

Sounds extremely similar to an Italian dry-cured beef called Bresola (sp?).
Typically, what is done is that one takes a variety of sweet/savory spices,
toasts them, and grinds them.  The spices are then mixed with a little brown
sugar and used to thoroughly coat a whole beef tenderloin.  The tenderloin
is then placed, uncovered, on a rack in your fridge and allowed to dry-cure
for, say, seven days.  The meat is then seasoned with kosher salt and
allowed to further cure for, say, a day.  The whole tenderloin is then
grilled and sliced very thinly.

The above description sounds quite labor intensive (and it is, I used to
make two of these a week), but OH MY GOD.  This is truly a case wherein the
results far outweigh the effort you will expend.  There is no describing of
the finished product -- you simply must make it and have it for yourself.

Good Luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology