Re: [CH] Re: Heat

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:29:03 -0500

At 8:39 PM -0500 9/5/01, Karen wrote:

>What type of chiles does everyone add to their chili?  I tried a few habs
>and it does have nice heat the "right" flavor just isn't there.  I think
>they are a little too "fruity" tasting.  The recipes I have always call for
>Jalapenos. I've never grew them, I guess if that's it, anyone have any seeds
>for next year?  :)

With my chili, the key is a well-rounded burn with a depth of flavor to it.
I also do some things chili purists don't like - mine is tomato based, and
I add beans and (mother of all evils) potatoes.  The reason for the beans
and potatoes isn't so much flavor as economic.  You can "fill up" on chile
much more quickly, and digest it more slowly, with the starches in it, so
I'll feel full after 2 bowls.  Without 'em, I usually need 3 1/2 bowls or
so, making a big pot of chile not last as long.

Anyway, like I said, I use a variety of chiles, mostly dried.  I start with
a few chipotles, which I reconstitute in boiling water.  I add the
chile-tinged water to the chile, as well as the chopped-up softened chiles.
I then add a bunch of crushed dried new mexicans.  Lots of them.  Lots.
They tend to provide the base chile flavor.  For a little heat, I add just
a couple of habs.  I don't like their fruitiness very much in my chile, so
I only add a couple.  Then, to round off the burn a bit (there is a missing
bit - that little bit right behind the tip of your tounge has thus far been
ignored), I add cayenne powder.  I like to grind  dried cayennes in a
little coffee grinder right before I add them.  Otherwise, I find myself
using a lot of supermarket canned cayenne powder, and the flavor still
isn't as good.  But, the best thing I've found about cayenne is that it
tends to unify flavors.  I even use a bit in my non-spicy dishes, like
sausage gravy for bisquits and gravy.  Definately not a spicy dish, but
adding the cayenne serves to unify the flavors.

Chad Gard, CTS KB9WXQ
INCHASE: http://www.inchase.org  Co-founder
SCOA: http://www.stormchasersofamerica.org  Member #3
INSWA:  http://www.insw.org Unit #21