[CH] Re: Hatch chiles

Virginia Anderson (assembly1@waitrose.com)
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:41:26 +0100

on 12/9/01 1:36 am, Rich McCormack <macknet@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I don't know what happens in other states with international
> borders, but here in San Diego County, the U.S. Border Patrol
> maintains fixed location checkpoints about 50 miles north of
> the US/Mexican border.

When I had a '68 Chevy Impala (stock, but naturally low) and was making
weekly trips from San Diego to LA, I was stopped and searched almost weekly.
Then I got a '68 Rambler Javelin (jacked up) and never got stopped again.
Funny thing, that.

On the other hand, the agriculture people are there for a reason and will be
happy to work with you if you go to the trouble of asking questions.  I
often call the desks at the airports at which I'm landing, or to the embassy
or consulate in question.  Newark is especially good: the only question the
ag. guy had about my juniper berries was if I was going to make gin.
Commercially packaged stuff brought in with hand luggage has never been
refused, but then, because the chiles always go from California to England,
I haven't really tested them properly.

The state border controls are something else and to be respected.  Some 25
years ago a bunch of us were coming down from Oregon and stopped well before
the border to get rid of the remains of some peaches we had been given.  It
was just as we got to the checkpoint that we realised that in our fresh
fruit zeal we had totally neglected to hide a large Tupperware container of
Oregon's finest non-legal crop on our front seat.  The guy didn't notice -
or chose not to.

Cheers,

Virginia
(note to British cops: my drug of choice is now cider, so don't bother
knocking)
--
Virginia Anderson
Leicester, UK