Re: [CH] Attack what next

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:06:04 RSA-2

> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 06:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ted Wagner <trwagner1@yahoo.com>

I don't want to lessen the tragedy or subvert this lists prime
function but it is my greatest contact with America.  As a South
African I do feel for those who have suffered and can sympathise
with all Americans when it comes to acts of terrorism.

>> Did anyone think why this has happened and what would have
>> prevented it?

> Well, personally, I don't think the why is fathomable.

Why, when religious intolerance and hated is so evident?  When
power mongers are ready and willing to use this to their own
ends.

> The prevention? None short of anti-aircraft batteries on the
> ground in New York or perhaps F-16's flying around the city.

AA gun batteries and F16s would be a poor choice indeed.

Israel does not have school shootings at schools not because
they are in a different country.  Their schools are not a safe
haven for madmen with criminal intent or terrorists.  Teachers
are armed and ready.

If 10..50% of the passengers were armed instead of having to
hand in any firearms and knives, which clown would have tried
to hi-jack the plane?  And yes I have heard most of the
paranoia prone arguments.  None of which can be shown to have
any validity in fact.

Banning carpet knives on planes is not going to fix it either.

Such checks and requirements only disarm citizens who have no
intention of crime or terrorist acts.  Criminals and terrorists
will always find a way around such measures.  How do you get
around an unknown number but possibly substantial number of
passengers who might be armed and get angry with a hi-jack
attempt?

Find an easier target which is exactly what will happen by
looking for safe zones to operate in.

Create safe zones and havens and expect them to be used against
you.

> Those who wish to do harm will, at any cost.  It's a shame.

There simply is no point in making it easy for such acts to
occur at the cost of loss of rights and freedoms just to have
the appearance of safety and a cosy warm feeling of false
security.  The founding fathers of America knew that well but
it seems to have been forgotten.

My apology for a non-pepper related post.

Now more pepper related ;-)

My seedlings planted at the end of last summer are beginning to
show signs of recovery.  Many did not make it through what was a
long dry summer even with my watering.

Many of my garden plants will also for the same reason have to
be replaced.  Every C. baccatum and C. pubescens made it
through winter. (maybe two days of light frost).  C. annuum and
C. chinense taking the greatest losses.  I don't have many C.
annuums ;-)

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?