Re: [CH] Pickled Cherry Peppers and Garlic in Oil

Inagaddadavida, Baby (raelsixfour@cableone.net)
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:20:44 -0600

At 8:04 AM +0200 9/15/01, T wrote:
>  > >Allow to stand at room temperature for a week or two so that the oil
>>  >heats up and takes on the flavor of the peppers and garlic. Replenish
>>  >with oil to cover mow and then, as oil seeps inside and is absorbed
>>  >by the peppers. These peppers and garlic will keep, covered, at room
>>  >temperature for 6 months or more.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  That said, this is not a recipe
>>  for pickled chiles, but rather a recipe for botulism.
>
>Well, this is pretty well a standard recipe around here and south of the
>border (Italy), and will be found in virtually any pizza restaurant.  I've
>yet to hear of anyone getting botulism poisoning from it.
>
>Tom

i know that many restaurants make/use concoctions of this sort...i
think the rule of thumb is to make such in small batches so as
botulism doesn't time to "breed"...could be completely misguided - or
wrong as hell - thinking, but as Tom says, many people have been
doing this for years with no ill affects...

which may only mean luck is on the side of fools <g>...

Anywho, back to the books :(

--
Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64