Re: [CH] Botulism

Eric Murray (ericm@lne.com)
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:13:35 -0700

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:45:54AM -0400, T. Matthew Evans wrote:
> >With all this talk of Botulism, I have a few questions:
> >If there is "B" in your creation, will it impart a different taste?
> >What are the symptoms of "B"?
> >

> I'm not certain about the exact odor or flavor of "B" because I have never
> eaten any.  I did once open a can of roasted red peppers (store-bought) that
> had a mushroomy, powdery, blue-green growth on the top of it (further
> inspection showed that the can had at some point been penetrated).  Was this
> botulism?

Probably not as it's an anaerobic bacteria.

> If in doubt, don't take the chance -- the mantra in my first restaurant
> kitchen job was that you can get enough botulism on the head of a pin to
> kill you.  What's more, if it doesn't kill you, it will simply paralyze you
> for three to six weeks.  Not very nice stuff, that botulism.

Botulisim is caused by the microbe Clostridium botulinum.

"Members of genus Clostridium are Gram-positive, spore-forming rods
that are anaerobic.  These motile bacteria are ubiquitous in nature and
are especially fond of soil. Under the microscope, they appear as long
drumsticks with a bulge located at their terminal ends."

http://medic.med.uth.tmc.edu/path/00001496.htm

Interestingly, other species of Clostridium cause tetanus
and "gas gangrene" which sounds like a pretty awful disease.

Eric