Re: [CH] Saving Seeds, etc.

Eric Murray (ericm@lne.com)
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:57:01 -0700

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:31:35PM -0400, T. Matthew Evans wrote:
> Hi All --
>
> As the chile season draws to a (sad) close, and in light of Uncle Steve's
> generous offer of seeds, I've been thinking....(possible "Scanner"-type
> brain explosion imminent)....
>
> My chile "fields" are pretty vanilla, but I would like to save some seeds on
> the off chance that I might have something to offer someone.  I often read
> about seed trading and have just as often wished that I could do it, too.
> That said, would this be a good time for one of you pros to (re-)post some
> instructions for seed saving?
>
> By the way, my vanilla garden contains the following (if anyone is
> interested in these seeds):  jalapeno, Tabasco, cayenne, cowhorn, red hot,
> Caribbean red (similar to habs), orange habanero, and Thai hot.

Time for a dumb question--  I thought that peppers cross-pollinated.
So the seeds that you get from your jalapeno plants might grow
plants that're jalapeno x some other pepper.

Is that correct?  If so, how can someone growing a couple
beds worth of peppers save true-breeding seed?
Hand pollination?

Thanks!

Eric