Re: List Options - Was: Re: [CH] Irrelevant postings V8 #433

Eric Murray (ericm@lne.com)
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:05:39 -0700

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 01:36:53AM -0400, Ed Johnson wrote:
> Do you folks like the way Michael has this list configured
> whereby if one wants to simply reply to a message on the list, he
> cannot do so by simply hitting the "Reply" icon in his mail
> reader?

I don't know what your mail reader does, but all the list messages have
Reply-To set to the poster, not the list.

> In order to send a reply just to the list, one must either hit
> or type in the address of the list on a completely new message.
> It is only when someone WANTS to reply to a public message
> privately that the "Reply" icon is the appropriate one to hit.

That's the correct way to set up a mailing list.

> My confusion (and perhaps inattention) to this has already caused
> me to receive some flames and nastygrams when I replied publicly
> with a message that was intended to be private.

The way the list is set up makes doing this harder, not easier.
It doesn't make it impossible though. :-)

I've been on lists where Reply-to was set to the list, so that
simply doing a reply would send mail back to the list.
What happens is that the list then gets more personal
mail that was intended for an individual.  This clogs up
the list, and sometimes people accidentally send very personal
mail to the list because of it.

All the lists I run are set up to leave Reply-to alone or set it
to the poster, not the list.

Eric