Re: [CH] Request for information

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 12:06:00 -0400

At 05:26 PM 10/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Second, I know that many hard-core chileheads oppose the development of mild
>cultivars. I'm pretty neutral on the subject personally but would love to
>have some feedback from people opposed to the development as to why they
>feel the way they do. I don't think there is a right or wrong here I'm just
>looking for opinions on this topic.

Most Chileheads I know oppose the development of heatless jalapenos for 2
reasons; first, heat is the main reason for buying chiles for consumption.
Buying a batch of jalepenos at the store and finding them mild borders on
false advertizing and misrepresentation as they are never labelled as such.
 This has become a real problem where you can almost not tell if you are
getting hot jalepenos or not up to a quarter of the time.  The second
reason is from those who grow chiles.  The breeding or genetic manipulation
that is used to create mild chiles results in pollen that can fertilize
plants not meant for mild status.   This can result in plants or seeds that
are crossbred to mild chiles.

=Mark