re: [CH] Pig & Pepper

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 07:04:15 -0400

In Chilehads Digest, Jeffro wrote:

>Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:28:50 -0400
>From: Jeffrey_Rose@eri.eisai.com
>Subject: [CH] Pig & Pepper
>
>Anyone going this year?  I hope its better organized than last year
>when over half the food vendors decided not to show up and people
>waited 1.5 hours for a plate of BBQ.
>
>Jeffro
>Jeffro's Serious Sauces
>http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jeffroz/Hot_Sauce.html

Yes, it was excellent this year.  We had a great time.  Plenty of
food from over a dozen vendors, lots of competitors in the pepper
tent and product vendors offering samples of their wares in the
sauce building.

Saturday started out under dark clouds with a rain storm passing
through at noon -- but it cleared up and was a beautiful sunny
afternoon.  I think the weather earlier in the day discouraged a
lot of people so the afternoon crowds were large enough to make
the place feel vibrant and busy, but not so much as to be
overwhelming.

Sunday was a perfect autumn day and there were hoards of people.
We were there from about noon to three and there were plenty of
folks still arriving at three.

If last year was disappointing, this year made up for it.  It was
about as good as it gets.  Good music ("The Boogaloo Swamis" among
others), enough places to sit down with your plates of barbecue,
many activities for the kids, and free rubber squeeze pig toys
courtesy of the major underwriter, Synopsys.  (These were like the
"stress reliever" balls, but in the shape of pink pigs wearing
sunglasses.  In addition to giving them away at the Synopsys
pavillion, they had them in the kids activity area for the kids
to decorate with their own custom touches like glitter, etc.)

This was the 11th annual Pig'n'Pepper (for the benefit of the
Westford-Carlisle Massachusetts public schools).  I'm looking
forward to the event next year, which is always held on the
Saturday and Sunday of the Columbus Day weekend.

Cheers,
The Old Bear