Re: [CH] sanding seeds/Russ Spanard/L.B.

Paul Karpowicz (hondamedic@mediaone.net)
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:52:41 -0400

L.B. & Russ
   As usual, I forgot to mention a part of my methods. I exaggerated the
number of seeds as a joke, and only sand seeds I get in trades that I've
only received a few of to insure as many plants as possible make it. I agree
that the seedlings that get stuck & require help are usually the runts of
the litter.

Russ,
   I have read of many soaking methods, including saltpeter. I don't
normally soak my seeds but was considering this option instead of becoming
"a cross eyed drunk with your method" as L.B. stated. E-Mail me your address
& I'll forward a SASE for a couple of tsp.
  Thanks,
     Paul
PS And lastly I found this in archives :

Emile & Dewi wrote:

>>snip<< One of the problems I have with seedlings is that when they emerge
> the hard shell of the seed sufficates the leaves and won't come off.  I
> tried to gently crack the shells but ended up hurting the leaves and
caused
> them to rot.  Any tips? <

I've had pretty good results applying a drop of water to the shell,
repeating as necessary to keep it moist.  Then the seed leaves can
force the softened shell open.

Hobby Farmer

From: "Byron" <byronbromley@tellink.net>
Subject: : [CH] sanding seeds