Re: [CH] aphids, ladybugs and pyrethrum

OverFedLongHairedLeapingGnome (raelsixfour@cableone.net)
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:53:38 -0600

At 10:28 AM +1000 10/16/01, phil and meredith wrote:
>hi guys,
>i've had a few aphids on my chili seedling which i've been controlling with
>a pyrethum spray, but in the last few days i've noticed an increasing number
>of ladybugs around and i don't want to kill them. i've also found a major
>aphid infestation (100's) on a brussell sprout plant next to the chilli
>plants. there are a number of ladybugs on the brussell sprout plant, but
>none on the chilli plants.
>
>my questions are four...
>1. what do ladybug larvae look like?

i call them little black dragons...like an elongated, upside down
triangle, black w/orange-ish stripes, with a head on the "base"...and
with a description like that, i probably need to find a picture <g>...

http://www.capitalnursery.com/images/photos/cn/ladybuglarva100x73f.jpg

>2. will the pyrethrum kill the ladybugs/larvae?

i would think so, but i'm not sure...

>3. are the ladybugs likely to manage the aphids on their own?

most likely as you indicate they are in great numbers and the aphids
were few in the chiles.  As for the brussell sprout plant and it's
inhabitants, personally, I'd pull the plant and burn it with extreme
glee.

Yes, I hate brussel sprouts...

>4. are there spray alternatives that will hurt the aphids but not the
>ladybugs?

dunno...hard to kill selectively other than by finger and thumb...i'd
just hope for the ladybugs to do their thing although you could order
other beneficial (killer) bugs...not sure what's common for your
area/country tho...

--
Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64