[CH] Lump Hardwood Charcoal

mstevens@exit109.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:24:59 GMT

At 04:40 PM 10/18/01 -0500, Love2Troll wrote:
>>>I've been smoking for several years now, and heartily recommend the Weber
>Smokey Mountain smoker.<<
>

>Mark,
>
>Just visited a page on your website
http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/Cabin_BBQ/ and noticed the lump charcoal.
Where do you get that stuff?  I'm in the KC, MO area and all we seem to have
are Kingsford briquets and other foul tasting brands.  The Kingsford imparts a
*flavor* that I am starting to hate more & more each year.  It used to be quite
good.  I start my fires with a propane torch to avoid any petrol taste.

That particular brand I got at a retail place called BBQ Galore.  The branch I
went to is north of Baltimore off Rt. 95.  I pick some up whenever I head down
to DC.  I know this does not do you any good, so...

Go to any hardware store that operates under the "Servistar" franchise and ask
to special order lump hardwood charcoal.  They can usually have it ready to
pick up in less than a week.

This is also great stuff for smoking chiles.  I've never had a problem with off
flavors from a pit used to smoke meat as some folks claim, but the charcoal
briquetts make the smoked chiles taste like they were cooked over soft coal!

As for lighting my charcoal, I use a chimney starter.  See:

http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/img/accessories/allfuel_05_large.jpg

Just stuff some newspaper in the bottom, light it up and have a bed of coals
ready to go in 15 minutes!

=Mark