RE: [CH] Lump Hardwood Charcoal

mstevens@exit109.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:22:07 GMT

At 02:38 PM 10/19/01 -0400, T. Matthew Evans wrote:
>Lastly, I've seen quite a few posts here about smoking chiles -- are you
>able to smoke them until dry (e.g., chipotle or chile pasilla de Oaxaca) or
>do they still have some liquid left to them?  I've smoked chiles before (not
>seeds & stems, though) but I always pulled them out when they were the
>consistency of, say, a roasted chile -- i.e., I had to use them within about
>a week or so.

I use the Weber Smokey Mountain to smoke chiles as a full load of lump wil chug
along for 12 hours or more.  The first few hours you get a nice thin blue
stream of smoke, and then after that it is mainly heat.  I usually let the
smoker run overnight and when I open it the next day the jalapenos are sort of
stiff and leathery and store well.

=Mark