Re: [CH] **SIMPLE** pepper marinade wamted

bill jernigan (billjernigan@iqonline.net)
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:17:18 -0400

At 06:22 PM 10/23/01 -0400, Dan Hirschi wrote:

>I think it was inspired by a mexican dish that was grilled pork, marinated
>in bitter orange juice.  Anyone ever try the poc chuck (sp.) at Merida in
>Pasadena, CA?
>
>Dan
>now in Tennessee

close enough to make chuck proud, dan...here's a recipe in english...

POC CHUC

This wonderful dish made from char grilled pork marinated inn sour-orange
with black beans, purple onions, tomato and Maya spices is also brought to
you by Yaxche Restaurant.

6 blade pork steaks, 1/4 - ½ inch thick and 10 - 12 oz. each
16 ounces sour orange juice or regular orange juice with 1/2 cup lime juice
1.5 ounces achiote paste (see recipe above)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of black pepper

Blend all marinade ingredients in blender or food processor. Marinate pork
at least 3 hours.

4 cups of water
5 medium purple onions, very thinly sliced
8 ounces white vinegar
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/4 habanero chile, roasted and finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Bring water to boil in deep saucepan. Add onions and blanch for 1 minute.
Drain and place in stainless steel bowl. Toss with vinegar, cilantro,
chile, salt and pepper.

Grill pork steaks on barbecue.

Serving Suggestions: Serve with Mexican Yellow Rice, (recipe following)
along with Caribbean Black Beans (recipe following). Garnish with habanero
chile peppers and cilantro.

[quoted without permission from 'cooking with baja magic', by Ann Hazard)

bill (who has enjoyed this very dish at the pasadena restaurant in merida,
yucatan)
now in Tennessee