R: [CH] Amachito ??

Diavolillo (diavolillo@katamail.com)
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:42:06 +0200

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Russ Spanard <RSpanard@home.com>
A: Diavolillo <diavolillo@katamail.com>
Data: mercoledì 24 ottobre 2001 14.31
Oggetto: Re: [CH] Amachito ??

>Ciao,
>
>Sorry - don't know about "amachito", but I am flying out  to Italia for a
short
>trip Nov 1-5. I'll be visiting some friends at a vineyard just north of
Siena in
>a village called Vagliagli.
>
>I'm assuming that the pepper you describe is a type of pequin. The name
seems to
>suggest "little macho". I'll ask around.
>
>Are there any types of peppers I should try to look for some seeds to bring
>back?
>
>Grazie,
>Russ

Hi you, Russ.
I am a viticulturitst too, but organic. I have two small vineyards, one for
wyne , one for only eating.

I live in Puglia, the heel of the boot, as Ingrid from Germany said .
This part of Italy is a semi-arid zone with low windy hills( max 700 m on
the sea level) at a short distance from the adriatic coast.
The most growed cultivars of grapevines are "Uva di Troia", "Bombino",
"Montepulciano", "Pampanuto", "Verdeca","Aglianico" and "Negroamaro" and
"Primitivo" too.
Puglia produces 30% of all olive oil of the world.
This belt is about 800 km far from Siena and the Tuscany, and it is very
different.

If you want collect  any chile seed, you must visit southern Italy
provinces, as Gargano, as Cilento, as Calabria and Sicilia. Here it is
possible to find ristras along the streets of small towns, and here the
chile pepper eating use is a traditional part of people diet .
One bad problem : many varieties are lacking of nomenclatura, and they save
traditional local names.

ciao
Michele