Heat loss of capsaicin Originally [CH] coconut, cheesecake, cooking mishaps, plea for help

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:36:35 -0600

>>My experience is the opposite, that is it definitely decreases with longer
cooking.<<

And as I understand it, it has to do with the actual temperature that the capsaicin is subjected to.

A chem professor sent me the following:

Jim writes on 3/26/01:  >>The McIllhenny co (Tabasco) funded a food chemistry study years ago at NMSU that adressed the effects of cooking and freezing conditions on pungency.  Briefly, they tested pure capsaicin, capsaicin in an alcoholic solution, capsaicin in the pepper (in peppero?) and capsaicin in a salsa, for decreases after conditions of cooking and freezing.  For temps from 100 deg C, boiling, very slight loss, while heating to 155 deg C  sauteeing, resulted in 'moderate' loss. Under direct flame as in a BBQ, the losss was up to 80%. With freezing, there were only very slight losses over a year's time. Ain't science grand?<<

He's a pretty bright guy & I assume his memory was correct.  I was unable to find the newsletter though.

FWIW

JohnT