RE: [CH] Re: Piri-Piri - Whiskey question

Gareth Burge (garethb@btinternet.com)
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:38:37 -0000

This thread got me to thinking of why I like some Whiskys in particular over
others, and the common denominator seems to be the amount of 'peat-iness' in
the drink. Two favourites for this are the Glenlivet, and probably my fave,
Bowmore. Both are very peaty and give the whisky a wonderful 'smoky' taste,
which is how I like my chiles, very smoked...chipotle being my favourite at
the moment.

Don't know how well a true malt whisky would stand up to an infusion of
chile (not very well, I suspect), but if anyone likes 'smoky' flavoured
foods, give Bowmore a shot...

By the way, anyone tried putting a slug or two of Jack Daniels into a Salsa
Fresca, and cutting back on the oil/vinegar...? Tastes great!

Cheers!
Gareth (up here in a very wet and windy Scotland, wondering if the habs are
*ever* going to ripen...)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Parkhurst, Scott
Contractor
Sent: 07 November 2001 14:08
To: CH List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [CH] Re: Piri-Piri - Whiskey question

> As for the scotch, I don't know what that would taste like.

I know what it would taste like to me, iodine with heat.  I
think I'll pass on the scotch.  The bourbon sounds good, as
well as the rum... I'm thinking a dark rum like Gosling's
Black Seal.  For regular whisky I'd use Seagrams or Canadian
Club.

Scott... tepins from OF marinating in the fridge... KCK