[CH] Re: Piri-Piri - Whiskey question

Virginia Anderson (assembly1@waitrose.com)
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:01:32 +0000

on 8/11/01 3:46 am, "Boulden, Randy" <RBoulden@natco-us.com> wrote:

> Try LAPHROIG single malt.
<snip>
>Two favourites for this are the Glenlivet, and probably my fave,
> Bowmore. Both are very peaty and give the whisky a wonderful 'smoky' taste,
> which is how I like my chiles, very smoked...chipotle being my favourite at
> the moment.
Laphroig is about the smokiest edible in the world - unless one likes
licking the insides of smokehouses.  I teach in Scotland every so often and
what we usually bring back is Bowmore because I can't afford Laphroaig, but
that's what I want.  The flavours of the north: Laphroaig with hot-smoked
fish, maybe studded with chipotles and pasillas de Oaxaca, yum.

But piri-piri is a flavour of the south.  I suppose to make the sauce with a
wine of the country, I'd try a soft Spanish or Portuguese brandy
(Sainsbury's here makes a good one).  They're not much unlike California
brandies - say E and J, not as complex as real brandies but with a soft
finish that makes them great for all-night chugging (well, say, when one is
twenty and can stand it).

A good cheap sour-mash bourbon might be useful.  One of the cheapest (and
one of the best, IMHO) was called Cabin Still but it seemed to have died out
in California in the 1980s.  The only bourbon with a similar taste and
smooth finish was Eagle Rare (by Budweiser?  but it was better than that
sounds) which was really expensive.  Here in Britain occasionally we can get
Woodforde Reserve, which has a fine barrel taste, but has less sour-mash
tang, and more of a bite.

Gosh, it makes it sound as if I drink this stuff constantly!  Memories....

Cheers,

Virginia
--
Virginia Anderson