Re: [CH] Smoking peppers for powder or flakes

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:19:22 -0500

Love2Troll wrote:
>>snip<< Has anyone tried corncobs for smoking?  These impart
> a very sweet pleasant taste to grilled meats on the BBQ.
> I'm not a mesquite fan as it overpowers easily.  Hickory is
> OK, and I hear that apple wood is very good.....

Every year a lady near us gets a semi load of pecans and resells
them by the grocery sack.  We save the shells and smoke with them.
This is one of our favorites, right up there with fresh apple
shavings.  Sometimes we mix the shells with hickory or apple
shavings, too.  We did a lot of Habs this year and a batch each of
Jalapeno and Serrano.

Apple tree trimmings run through our shredder are good, even better
in the Spring and Summer when the sap is in them.  We like sugar
maple (again, when the sap is up), on peppers, meat and fowl, but it
doesn't work for us on fish.  Lots of salmon and trout caught here
in West Michigan and we like to smoke 20-30 pounds a year over
hickory and pecan.

We use a Little Chief from Luhr-Jensen.  It is about 10" square and
24" tall and uses a hotplate.  We put squares of screen on the
grates for doing chiles, so they don't fall through.  Pretty basic,
but it has been smoking along for 20 years, and it does the job for
us.  We finish the peppers in a dehydrator after a couple of pans of
wood in the smoker.

Never thought to try corncobs!  The cornfield next to our house is
being combined today, so I'll grab some cobs.  I'll try some dry
field corn, too, and compare that to the cobs.

Hobby Farmer