[CH] Harissa

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 09:13:11 -0600

Emile & Dewi wrote:

> On another note. I found some Harissa paste in a Turkish store. It
> supposedly is a chile paste. Recipes needed. And I found some sardines with
> Tabasco peppers in a can and hot chile garlic paste. Oh, what to do with it
> all.

Saaaaaayyyyy, something I can help with. Harissa recipes. Here's one and
there are 12 more coming your way in an off-list attachment.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Harissa (Red Hot Chili Paste)
 Categories: Chiles, Jewish, Sauces
      Yield: 1 Servings

      1 c  Dried hot red chilies
           -water, cold
      1 c  Garlic cloves
      2 tb -salt
           Corn oil, to cover
      1 ts Olive oil
      1 tb Lemon juice
           Few grains ground cuminseeds

  There are many harissa recipes from all regions of the county.  This
  one, from a Jewish home, is a good hot one, flavored w/lemon juice &
  cuminseed.

  1. Break the dry chilies open & shake out & discard the seeds.  Soak
     the husks in cold water for 2 or 3 hrs to soften, then drain.  Soak
     the garlic cloves water for 1 hr.  Drain.  Crack the cloves lightly
     w/the flat of a cleaver & peel.  Drain well.

  2. Grind the chilies & garlic cloves together in a processor to
     produce a fairly coarse texture. Add the salt & mix well. Put the
     paste in a jar & cover w/oil, about 2 tablespoons. Cover the jar
     tightly & refrigerate until ready to use.

  Makes abt 1-1/2 cups harissa.

  TO SERVE: Put about 1 tablespoon of harissa in a small plate. Surround
  the harissa w/oil. Sprinkle the lemon juice over, w/pinch of
  cuminseed over all. Serve w/any kind of Tunisian food.

  Recipe:  "Sephardic Cooking" by Copeland Mark -- 600 Recipes Created
  in Exotic Sephardic Kitchens from Morocco to India -- Copyright 1992
  Published by Donald I. Fine, Inc., New York, N.Y.

  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider