Re: [CH] Not a lovely subject: Cold sores.

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:11:45 -0600

Mark Barringer wrote:

> Now I know I have posted in awhile, and the subject matter here is not a
> very pleasant one, but I need to ask you all a question.

> I get a cold sore maybe once every winter on average.  I have had one for
> about a week now, but it is healing.

> Last night, while watching me each a plate of nachos completely laden with
> "Road To Hell" hot sauce, my mom made the following comment: "Maybe you
> should cut back on eating all that hot stuff because the acid will not help
> the cold sore on your lip."

> Is my mom's comment true?  Should I cut back, at least until the thing heals
> completely?  Any observations are greatly appreciated.

Mom must be old.... cuz what she's telling you is an old wive's tale.
B^)=

Many ulcer patients take cayenne to help contol the bacteria that cause
ulcers. A cold sore is a virus-caused (herpes simplex) skin eruption.
Nothing to do with hot stuff.

IIRC capsaicin is an alkaloid not an acid.... Mom may be full of prunes.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider