[CH] Broccoli

mstevens@exit109.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:11:23 GMT

At 02:50 PM 12/19/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I do enjoy quite a number of raw veggies and I think that the reason for the
>recent trend towards raw veggies is that they are supposed to retain more of
>their vitamin and mineral contents, since prolonged boiling will destroy or
>leach out those things.

Yeah, I've heard these "supposed to" claims also, and in many cases this is
true.  There are exceptions tho...  Cruciferous veggies such as broccoli,
cauliflour and cabbage require a minimum amount of cooking to break down the
cell walls and allow vitamins and minerals to be more easily digested.  They
then must be slathered with goodly amounts of sweet butter to help lubricate
their way thru the digestive tract, and need a healthy grinding of black pepper
to stimulate digestion and a gurgle of good red wine to get the blood flowing
in and around the stomach...

Well, OK I made that last stuff up.  Sort of...

=Mark