Re: [CH] Capsaicin Chemical Stuff

Paul Karpowicz (hondamedic@mediaone.net)
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:02:15 -0500

Hi Art!!!
   Now this is exactly what I was talkin' 'bout. Jim delivered his synopsis
succinctly: (Snip) "Sure!  Add it in at the end or cook at lower temps, or
start with a higher level to allow for loss or cook it covered." But you not
only made my head spin, I'm now cowered in a corner wonderin' how I'm gonna'
get a fresh prescription for this migraine headache!!!!
 Seriously, walkin' around the scientific doublespeak,(Snip) "Capsaicin
melts at a temperature of 65ºC/149ºF and boils at a temperature 210ºC/410ºF"
means even at the low temp of only 150 degrees F (If you tell me how to make
those neat little round things next to numbers, I won't have to type the
word "degree" anymore & this whole discussion will be worth what it cost me
for the migraine prescription) tells me while I'm WARMING the recipe for
processing, I'm loosing heat from the final product, never mind bringing it
up to a boil & simmering for 5 min. Correct? Now back to my question (Snip)
"Suppose I use a tight fitting lid or maybe a pressure cooker or a ??? to
keep cap out of air & in the recipe? In other words,
is there a way for a pantry cook to reduce cap loss while cooking?" which
your only viable  suggestion is (Snip) "Another possibility is to add the
capsaicin thingies at the very end of cooking after the heating of the food
is finished. Again, be sure you are upwind when you stir the capsaicin stuff
into your food." Thanks for being redundant to Jim's previously described
method & I'll be sure to stand "downwind" of your advice in the future
LOL/LOL!!! ;>)
    Very seriously, thanks for enlightening this squarehead as to how to
improve his cookin' ,
             Paul
PS As for not eatin' Cheetos while watchin' porno's alone, will they impart
a color on a part of my body other than fingers?