Re: [CH] Penzey's chili powder blends question

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:12:58 -0800

Nisa wrote:

> I received 2 chili powder blends from Penzey's as part of a Christmas
> present - they contain ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano...and I
> think that's it.  The chili recipes that I make use pure chili powder
> in addition to amounts of cumin and oregano - not all blended together
> when measuring out.  Does anyone have any idea what the ratio of ancho
> chili powder to cumin to oregano is in these blends so I'll know how
> much more or less to add of the pure spices when making chili so that
> the taste isn't changed too drastically?

Keep in mind some commercial chili powder blends also contain onion
and garlic powder...I don't know about Penzey's.  That might also
mean adjusting any fresh onions or garlic you might usually add
to your chili.  I'd assume Penzey's try's to meet the middle ground
when it comes to their spice blends, so the ratio of cumin and oregano
to ground chile is probably pretty close to your own, assuming you
also use the average amount in proportion.  My proportion of cumin
and oregano to ground chiles for making My Chile is around 2/3 tsp.
each ground cumin and crushed Mexican oregano to 2 tblsp. ground
chiles.  How does that compare with the ratio of cumin and oregano
to ground chile when you make your chili?  Assuming my proportions
are within the average and Penzey's are as well, I'd probably use
a couple of rounded (rounded to accomodate the extra one and a third
tsp.) tblsp. of the Penzey's chili powder blend per pound of meat.
Hope that helps and good luck...

Rich

--
"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling
alliances with none..."

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/