Re: [CH] Penzey's chili powder blends question

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 05:22:08 -0800

T wrote:

> > My proportion of cumin
> > and oregano to ground chiles for making My Chile is around 2/3 tsp.
> > each ground cumin and crushed Mexican oregano to 2 tblsp. ground
> > chiles.  How does that compare with the ratio of cumin and oregano
> > to ground chile when you make your chili?
>
> That's 3:1 chile/cumin and 3:1 chile/oregano.
>
> I use about 8:1 chile/cumin and 16:1 chile/oregano.
>
> Tom

2/3 teaspoon to 6 teaspoons (2 tablespoons) works out to about
9:1 if I'm doing the math right.  That'd be pretty close to your
8 to 1 on the cumin...but it does appear I like more oregano than
you.  I use coarsely crushed Mexican oregano, so there is a lot
of air in that 2/3 teaspoon.

--
"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling
alliances with none..."

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/