Re: [CH] Intro/new subscriber:

Shaun Rimmer (shaun@newtronic.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:09:39 -0000

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:07:07 +0100
From: "T" <joemama@ticino.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] Intro/new subscriber:

> > No jeera,

> You need that (it's called cumin in english), especially with beans.

But of course! I have a huge air-tight jar of cumin seed, and 2 smaller bags
of slightly differing varieties, thass why I don't need no more, juss yet
:-)

My favourite "quick fix" - fast [chilli] beans on toast style, is:

1 can b/beans (in tom sauce); 1/2 tsp. jeera seed, crushed; 2 cloves grlc,
crshd; 3 chillies finely chopped; half onion finely chopped; 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
oregano; plenty chopped fresh coriander; 1/2 tsp fresh grnd blk pepper;
butter.

Fry onion, garlic, chilli, cumin & pepper in butter (1/2 oz), until onion
etc. soft. Pour in beans, add oregano and simmer 'til beans go a bit mushy
then add chopped coriander. Stir 1 min. serve on hot buttered toast,
sprinkle with fave grated cheese.

Yum! :-)

> > I s'pose my first question would have to be..........errmmmm........how
> > darned easy/hard can it be to grow _good_ chillies in a place such as
'UK'?
> > Uhuh! Well, whatabout without a hot-house? In numbers?

> Not easy.  Depends on the type.

Thanks, I'm gonna have a go though!

Tom (southern CH)

Shaun R
(Blackburn Lancashire, not Scotland, I'm afraid I ain't that far north....)