RE: [CH] kim chi - buried

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (PARKHURS@LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL)
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:58:29 -0000

AndyB wrote:

> I had the good fortune to go to Korea a couple years ago --

   Korea was nice the first time I went.  All my trips have been on
business, 2-4 weeks, always the same wide spot 30-40 miles north of Seoul
(1-4 hour trip, depending on traffic).  The first time was interesting.
The rest were somewhat less thrilling.

> where they really have good kimchi:
> All much better and somewhat more peppery than what is
> commonly available in the US.

   Here I agree whole heartedly.  Most times when the menu says kim chi
what you really get is an assortment: spicy fermented cabbage, bean
sprouts, carrots, pickled ginger, some sort of cold omelet thingy and
one or two bowls of nondescript goo.  Most of it usually pretty good.

   At a mom-n-pop restaurant we frequented we got on good terms with
the owner and after a few visits they broke out the pickled garlic cloves.
Not on anyone else's table, but man were they good.

   At a restaurant in Seoul they served all that when we ordered
bulgogi (terryaki beef strips).  They brought the hot coals to the grill
in the middle of the table, cooked the beef strips, served assorted
lettuce leaves so we could make a sort of Korean burrito.  They even had
a couple of "waitresses" stationed at our table to peel the pickled
quails eggs.

Scott... just too damn long a flight to ever wanna go back... KCK