[CH] scallops

Jim Weller (jweller@ssimicro.com)
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:21:26 -0700

> From: Tiki456@aol.com
> Subject: [CH] Scallop Recipes

> Hi, Chileheads--

>The way I've been cooking scallops lately is to coat them in cajun
> seasoning
>(mostly cayenne) then frying them at very high heat in a light coating
> of
> olive oil. This makes a tasty entree, but I'm looking for something
> different
> for this evening. Does anyone have a nice and spicy scallop dish?

Hi Cathy

If you're going to make it fiery I suggest the larger, cheaper sea
scallops. Save the tiny little delicate bay scallops for something
delicate.

Here's a couple of ideas for you:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Crostini with Spicy Scallops
 Categories: Tnt, Italian, Breads, Appetizers, Scallops, Chilies
      Yield: 4 Servings

      1 lb Bay scallops
      4 tb Olive Oil
      2    Garlic Cloves, chopped
      1 ts Red pepper flakes
      2 tb Parsley, chopped
      1 c  Dry white wine
      1 c  Tomatoes, peeled and seeded
      2 tb Bread crumbs
           -Italian bread

  Heat oil in large skillet.  Add garlic, red pepper, and 1 Tbsp. of the
  parsley.  Saute for about 1 minute.  Add the scallops and cook for 1
  to 2 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup of the wine.  Cook until the wine has
  evaporated, remove the scallops to finish and reduce the sauce.  Add
  the remaining wine with the tomatoes and the bread crumbs.  Cook over
  medium high heat until the sauce has a medium-thick consistency, about
  3 to 4 minutes. Return the scallops to the skillet, add the remaining
  parsley and cook for about 1 minute or until the scallops are coated
  well with the tomato sauce and hot. Serve over slices of bread.

  John's Notes:  The dish was served over toasted baguette slices.  The
  slices were placed on the plate in a "V" shape, overlapping at the
  base of the "V". The scallops and sauce were plated on the opposite
  end, covering 1/2 of the six or seven-inch slice of toasted bread. To
  peel and seed the tomato he recommended scoring the bottom of the
  tomato in an "X" and baking at 350 for 15 minutes. He said the skin
  would come right off and it would be easy to remove the seeds. For
  bread crumb ingredient he recommended foccacia bread. To toast the
  baguette slices brush with olive oil and place on the grill. The dish
  could even be served cold. Everyone agreed that this was a fantastic
  appetizer with subtle hints of wine sauce and garlic. For someone like
  me it wasn't all that spicy. I would double or triple the red pepper.

  A Yia-Yias cooking class
  Source: John Geckles

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Southeast Asian-Style Seared Scallop Salad
 Categories: Asian, Salads, Loo, Chilies, Scallops
      Yield: 4 Servings

      1 lb Lg sea scallops (12)
    1/4 c  Freshly cracked coriander
           Seeds
           Salt and freshly cracked
           White pepper
      2 tb Roasted sesame oil
      1 c  Loosely packed mint leaves,
           Washed and dried
      1 c  Loosely packed cilantro
           Leaves, washed and dried
      1 c  Loosely packed basil leaves,
           Washed and dried
      2 c  Arugula, washed and dried
      1    Bell pepper, seeded and cut
           Into 1/2" strips
    1/4 c  Soy sauce
    1/3 c  Fresh lime juice
      2 tb Minced ginger to taste
      1 ts Minced garlic
      2 tb Minced fresh chili pepper of
           Your choice
      2 tb Fish sauce (optional)

  Rub the scallops thoroughly with the coriander, and sprinkle with salt
  and white pepper to taste.

  Heat the sesame oil over med heat until hot but not smoking. Add the
  scallops (they should fit in a single layer), and cook for 2-3 min, or
  until the scallops just begin to brown. Flip them over, and cook them
  2-3 min on the other side. Remove them from heat, and set aside.

  Combine the mint, cilantro, basil, arugula, and bell pepper, and set
  them aside.

  Whisk together the soy sauce, the lime juice, ginger, garlic, chili
  pepper, and fish sauce, if you are using it. Pour just enough of this
  mixture over the greens to moisten them well. Toss gently, top with
  the scallops, and serve.

  M's note. Use unroasted sesame oil or peanut oil. Add about 1 t
  toasted sesame oil to the dressing.

  New York Times
  From: Michael Loo                     Date: 13 Jun 98

MMMMM