Re: [CH] Various ramblings V8 #485

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:54:40 -0500

Hi C-H's,

You know that Spring is just around the corner in one of the
hemispheres when the Digests start arriving every day!

Rael's garden. Use tomato "grow bags". Do they have them in the US
yet? If not buy $1 bags of top soil and lay them on the ground or on
concrete. Plant your plants in slits made in the top of the bags and
water regularly. Doesn't get any easier than this.

Irrigation system parts are cheap and easy to set up. If you have a
cold water tap handy, consider a simple drip irrigation system. Even
if you just turn it on for 15min every day it saves a lot of hassle
with ferrying water in a watering can.

Rob Solarion wrote:
>Subject: [CH] Re: Manzano Seeds
>
>Periodically there are manzanos in our stores.  Last year I saved some
>seeds to try to grow them, but I had zero luck in getting them to
>germinate.  Since I heard that they are slow-growing, I started early doing
>this.  Finally, I just gave up because it was getting too late in the year
>to start them.  Rob

Use a seed tray heating pad. They dramatically improve germination rates.

Hi Jackie - welcome back. You'd like to meet Susan Byers. She's a sweetie!

From: Tara Deen -
>Subject: Re: [CH] Re Chilies for Rael
>
>Brer Rael,
>
>If you have half-sun and a small space, I'd throw my vote in for any
>Chinense. Most are fairly compact (except for my monster Red Savina) and
>they actually enjoy part shade. Rocotos like shade as well, but can grow
>quite tall.

Hi Tara. In my experience C. chinense like as much sun and heat as
they can get. They also prefer a humid climate and so would not suit
Rael's situation. Worst of all though is their long growing period of
often 120d or more. Rocotos aren't C. chinense as I'm sure you know.
They do OK in partial sun. Or did you mean rocotillos? (Hope that
didn't sound too much like "Let's get Tara" time!)

Kim-Chi, Scallops, Manzanos................
Manzanos stuffed with scallops and kim-chi. Aubree would like that.

Lutefish. That reminds me - Karen made me take my Bombay Duck out of
the fridge!
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.