Re: [CH] Rocotos V8 #489

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:36:42 -0500

Hi C-H's,

At 10:46 AM -0800 2/6/02, Brent Thompson wrote:
>I have never been to Peru, but I have seen both red and yellow rocotos
>direct from Peru, and they were very large -- considerably larger than I
>have seen grown anywhere in USA, including those I have grown from seeds of
>those same large Peruvian rocotos (and the seeds of which were the ones I
>distributed to you and others several years ago).
>
>As far as I know, those rocotos were nothing special, just ordinary market
>fruits selected at an ordinary Arequipa market.

Even taking into account the altitude and climate differences that is
quite baffling. I cannot believe that the farmers there have a secret
plant nutrient or are using F1 hybrid seed!

I still have a plant grown from those seeds you sent me, what - 5y
ago? - but it has never produced anything larger than a small hens
egg. I will repot it this Spring and whisper incantations.
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.